Friends From the Heart, Forever

In the spring of 1844 at Yale College in New Haven, Connecticut, a number of men of high character and scholastic attainment did not receive bids from the campus's two fraternities. This unfair act, which was due to undergraduate politics and a division in the sophomore class, caused some men who had received bids to promptly reject them. Together these fifteen men created a new society, founded on June 22, 1844 at Number 12, Old South Hall. Here, the fraternity's secret and open Greek mottos were devised, the open motto being "Kerothen Philoi Aei" meaning "Friends from the Heart, Forever," as well as the DKE pin and the colours crimson, blue, and gold. 

The Yale chapter of DKE, known as Phi, is to this day the only fraternity at Yale which has never gone inactive. Within three years, chapters were founded at Bowdoin, Princeton, Colby College, and Amherst College. Since that time, DKE has grown to over 64 chapters and initiated over 85,000 members across North America. The fraternity is inextricably linked to the history of the United States of America, as its members include a whopping five of the 44 US presidents.The Delta Kappa Epsilon Club of New York was founded in 1885 and is currently at the Yale Club of New York City

Yale Club's Main Entrance on Vanderbilt Avenue

Closer to Home

The first West Coast chapter was founded at Berkeley, California in 1876, followed by their rival Stanford in 1901. DKE became an international fraternity with the addition of the Alpha Phi chapter in 1898 at the University of Toronto in Canada. The first British Columbia chapter, Phi Alpha, was founded at UBC in 1949. DKE currently has five active Canadian chapters.